NATIONAL COUNCIL OF NEGRO WOMEN, INC.
NCNW was founded on December 5, 1935 by Mary McLeod Bethune, distinguished educator and government consultant. NCNW is an “organization of organizations”, a council of autonomous national organizations coming together to improve the quality of life for women. It functions as a clearinghouse, facilitating networking and coalition building, and advocating the use of collective power on issues affecting women, their families and communities. Mrs. Bethune described NCNW as “the need for a united organization of women to open doors for our young women, united so that when it speaks, its power will be felt.”
For nearly half a century, Dr. Dorothy Irene Height led the struggle for equality and human rights for all people. Her life exemplified her passionate commitment for a just society and her vision of a better world. In 1957, Dr. Dorothy I. Height was elected fourth National President of NCNW, Inc. Dr. Height established the Black Family Reunion Celebration in 1986 to reinforce the historic strengths and traditional values of the Black family. Under her leadership, NCNW purchased its national headquarters located on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC. Dr. Height served the organization until 1998 when she became Chair and President Emerita.
The mission of NCNW is to lead, develop and advocate for women of African descent as they support their families and communities. In celebration of its 80th anniversary, NCNW revealed a “new agenda for a new age,” vowing to take urgent action around education, health, economic empowerment and public policy in an effort to build a stronger Black America.
History of the Queens County Section
On May 13, 1987, Reva M. Anthony organized and formed the NCNW Inc., Queens County Section based on a growing need for community based program services in Southeast Queens. In August 1987, the section was chartered with the required 50 members. In addition, 10 men joined as Associate members. The installation of the Queens County Section was held at the St. Albans Naval Hospital in St. Albans, NY and was officiated by Eva C. Daniels, NY State Convener. The first president was Mrs. Linda Lloyd-Mayo. The Section members established 11 program committees focused on the areas of health, education, cultural arts, voter’s education, good & welfare, big sisters, community service, social welfare, religion, membership and economic development.